Anne Arundel County Public Library's goal is to provide all of their services to customers of all abilities. We have several programs and services, such as Library by Mail, available to provide assistance to those who need it.
One computer in each branch is wheelchair accessible. All public computers are equipped with Windows Narrator screen reader software, and Windows Magnifier text-enlarging software.
Visual Impairment Aids
- Large-Print Materials - At all branches
- Kurzweil 1000 software is available at the Odenton Regional Library. This software incorporates communication and productivity tools to ease and enhance the reading, writing, and learning experience for the blind or visually impaired. Please ask staff for assistance.
- Low-Vision Reading Machine - For individuals with macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma and other visual impairments. Magnifies print up to 60 times the original size. (At the Glen Burnie Regional Library and the Edgewater Community Library)
- Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped - Free service through the mail for eligible blind or physically handicapped individuals who are unable to read print. Information is available online: Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
- iPod Touches, loaded with 40 ebook titles, are available for checkout by blind or visually impaired customers. Please ask at the Information Desk in any branch for more information.
Deaf/Hearing Impaired Aids
- Sign-language interpreters are available with advance notice for library-sponsored programs. Call 410-222-7371.
The library provides a collection of literacy materials, known as the ABLE collection (for adults who are working to improve their reading skills and for adults who are learning English). Call 410-222-7371 for more information.
Kurzweil 3000 software for reading and comprehension assistance is available at all library locations.
Library by Mail is a personalized library service for county residents of all ages who are homebound, either permanently or temporarily, due to illness, disability or injury. Delivers a full range of library services via the mail, free of charge. Library materials are sent via US Mail in a pouch that includes pre-paid postage to return the items to the Library. More information here.