Anne Arundel County Public Library's goal is to provide all of our services to customers of all abilities. We have several programs and services, such as Library by Mail, available to provide assistance to those who need it.
One computer in each branch is wheelchair accessible. All public computers are equipped with Fusion software, Windows Narrator screen reader software, and Windows Magnifier text-enlarging software. Please visit our Website Accessibility Statement for information about the accessibility of our website, catalog, and other digital content.
Visual Impairment Aids
- Large Print materials are available at all library locations. Browse and place holds on Large Print materials from our online catalog.
- ADA Accessible Workstations are available at Broadneck, Brooklyn Park, Eastport-Annapolis Neck, Edgewater, Glen Burnie, and Odenton libraries. These workstations include:
- Computers with:
- MAGic text enlarging and screen reader software for those with low or deteriorating vision
- JAWS screen reader software for the blind
- 27" monitor
- Large type keyboard
- ADA Workstations were generously provided with a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Maryland State Library, and in partnership with the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled.
- Computers with:
- Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled is a free service through the mail for eligible blind or physically handicapped individuals who are unable to read print.
Deaf/Hard of Hearing/Hearing Loss Aids
- American Sign-language interpreters are available with advanced notice for library-sponsored programs. To schedule an interpreter, visit AACPL ASL Request Form - Language Interpretation and Translation Services at least 24 hours prior to the event date. For questions, email email@example.com.
- The Deaf Culture Digital Library is a collection of resources and help related to deaf culture. The site includes access to a wide selection of eBooks, eAudiobooks, and streaming video for all ages. These materials are accessed through Overdrive/Libby and may be borrowed with your AACPL card, but are on a separate account from your other Overdrive/Libby checkouts.
C-Pen Reader Pens, which read aloud text for users with reading challenges, are available to borrow.
Library by Mail
Library by Mail is a personalized library service for county residents of all ages who are homebound, either permanently or temporarily, due to illness, disability or injury. Delivers a full range of library services via the mail, free of charge. Library materials are sent via US Mail in a pouch that includes pre-paid postage to return the items to the Library. More information here.
Dementia Friendly Library
Staff at all sixteen Anne Arundel Public Library locations have undergone special training to increase their awareness of the issues that customers with dementia and their caregivers may face and how best to serve those individuals. Library staff have heightened awareness of the challenges faced by those who live with dementia and have learned valuable tips and tools to improve communication and care.