Anne Arundel County Public Library's goal is to provide all of their services to customers of all abilities. We have several programs and services, such as Library by Mail, available to provide assistance to those who need it.
One computer in each branch is wheelchair accessible. All public computers are equipped with Windows Narrator screen reader software, and Windows Magnifier text-enlarging software.
Visual Impairment Aids
- Large Print materials are available at all library locations. Browse and place holds on Large Print materials from our online catalog.
- Kurzweil 1000 software is available at the Severna Park Community Library. This software incorporates communication and productivity tools to ease and enhance the reading, writing, and learning experience for the blind or visually impaired. Please ask staff for assistance.
ADA Accessible Workstations are available at the Annapolis Regional Library, Broadneck Community Library, Brooklyn Park Community Library, Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library, Edgewater Community Library, Glen Burnie Regional Library, and Odenton Regional Library. These workstations include:
- MAGic text enlarging and screen reader software for those with low or deteriorating vision
- JAWS screen reader software for the blind
- 27" monitors
- Large type keyboards
- ClearView Optelec text enlarger/reader (for use with books/printed material)
- ADA Workstations were generously provided with a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Maryland State Library, and in partnership with the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
- Computers with:
- Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped is a free service through the mail for eligible blind or physically handicapped individuals who are unable to read print.
- iPod Touches, loaded with 40 ebook titles, are available for checkout by blind or visually impaired customers. Please ask at the Information Desk in any branch for more information.
Deaf/Hearing Impaired Aids
- Sign-language interpreters are available with advance notice for library-sponsored programs. Call 410-222-7371 for more information or to schedule an interpreter.
The library provides a collection of literacy materials, known as the ABLE collection (for adults who are working to improve their reading skills and for adults who are learning English). Call 410-222-7371 for more information.
Kurzweil 3000 software for reading and comprehension assistance is available at all library locations.
Library by Mail is a personalized library service for county residents of all ages who are homebound, either permanently or temporarily, due to illness, disability or injury. Delivers a full range of library services via the mail, free of charge. Library materials are sent via US Mail in a pouch that includes pre-paid postage to return the items to the Library. More information here.